Saddling Services Offered
- BALANCE Saddling Consultations
- Saddle Checks & help for those who have previously bought saddles
- Lecture-Demos and Workshops/Courses/Clinics
- Coaching & Support for those helping their horses through the BALANCE Remedial Process
- Follow up support using Skype/Facetime/Videos and phone calls
- Overnight stabling and indoor arena available for Test Rides year round.
I travel regularly to Lexington, KY; Nashville, TN and Cincinnati, OH. Also available for individual Consultations, within a 2 hr. drive of Louisville, KY.
I will also travel to most of the South Eastern states (KY, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama and Florida for groups of 10 minimum.
History with BALANCE
Catherine (often referred to as ‘Cat’) was introduced to BALANCE in 2003, has studied with Carol Brett since 2005, and continues to use the “Constructive/Functional approach” to find the best and most appropriate methods in training and riding to promote the horse’s natural abilities while enhancing health through correct movement.
Cat has hosted and assisted with multiple Constructive Riding and Constructive Saddling clinics and has travelled as assistant to Carol too.
- Owns and operates a horse farm in central Kentucky specializing in a Whole-istic approach to horse care and rehabilitation.
- Has done some training with Gavin Scofield, DO in the study of correct Equine Movement (Advanced Equine Biomechanics)
- Equine Management degree with a concentration in nutrition.
- Studied Parelli Natural Horsemanship into Level 4
- Trained hoof care professional
- Certified in Equine Function Movement Taping (Kinesiology sports taping)
- Continuing study in Anatomy, structure and movement of the equine athlete.
- Currently studying massage/bodywork
- Apprenticed with a Master Saddler in UK
- Knowledgeable in wide range of healing modalities including posture training, photonic therapy, magnet therapy.
- Equine Education Specialist for NTWO.org (National Thoroughbred Welfare Organization)- rehabilitating and rehoming OTTBs
- Currently retraining three off the track thoroughbreds as well as teaching and training for clients who are following the theories of BALANCE and Constructive Riding.
- Grew up riding Saddlebreds so is familiar with gaited horses.
- Riding experience includes hunters, dressage and eventing.
“Over the last 18 years, my daughter and I have purchased 7 BALANCE saddles! The first saddles were bought through remote consultation with Carol (Brett) and then we were lucky enough to bring our horses to Billings, Montana to see Carol in person.
This spring I contacted Cat Fortener for a remote saddle consultation. She has been amazing on many levels! Her eye for biomechanics is outstanding. She considered my horse’s age and current training level. She has great communication skills, explanations, and drawings for all of my questions. She was thorough and patient and gave me plenty of time to try out the saddles she sent.
BALANCE should be proud to have Cat represent BALANCE! Thank you for providing such an excellent resource in the US.”
“Cat is an amazing horse woman. She knows about so many things, and if she doesn’t know she will research it and figure it out!
She worked with my OTTB for 2 months last Fall doing BALANCE Remedial Programme work with him. I work with race horses while they are on the track. To say WE create an imbalance with these athletes, is a major understatement! There are many good people out there retraining these wonderful animals to give them a new career. It is not often an easy journey to make this transition, and I am grateful that Cat has been there for me and my OTTB.
The Remedial Programme makes so much sense for these animals to help them attain balance in their physical body, before putting a saddle on their back and them trying to fix the problems that continually come up.
We look forward to joining back up with Cat in the Spring to continue our training! We are blessed to have her in our lives and look forward to someday getting the proper saddle, and enjoy riding a balanced strong horse. Thank you so much!”